30 April 2020

Safe as Lightning Book Review

Safe as Lightning: PoemsSafe as Lightning: Poems by Scudder H. Parker
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Such a wonderful collection of poems that are hopeful, sad, pensive, gracious, and grateful--a world of emotions expressed in this world of nature and poetry! There are such lovely lines and turns of phrases throughout, too, such as "a bowl of wildness" (p. 95); "remember you are here by gift" (121); and:

"We found and ate wild onions, green flags,
red bulbs flecked with loam,
so spring would infect our breath" (p. 41).

The poems are accessible, and many feel like little stories of a life and place in rural Vermont. A complete book that will transport and transform you. Full disclosure: I am the editor of this book, however, I would not inflate my review as such. I truly enjoy the work here, and think you will too.

View all my reviews

No comments: